Former METALLICA members Dave Mustaine, Jason Newsted, Lloyd Grant, Ron McGovney, Hugh Tanner, along with the band’s longtime producer Bob Rock, as well as BLACK SABBATH legends Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler joined METALLICA on stage last night (Saturday, December 10) for the fourth and final intimate show at the Fillmore in San Francisco as part of the week-long celebration of its 30th anniversary as a band for fan club members only.
After opening sets from THE SOUL REBELS brass band and DEATH ANGEL, as well as an appearance by FAITH NO MORE/ex-OZZY OSBOURNE drummer Mike Bordin — who took to the stage with METALLICA bassist Robert Trujillo to honor late METALLICA bassist Cliff Burton — METALLICA rocked the crowd with another 20-song set which featured selections culled largely from the band’s classic debut album, 1983′s “Kill ‘Em All”, and included a previously unreleased track from the “Death Magnetic” sessions called “Rebel Of Babylon”.
The band’s setlist was as follows:
02. Through the Never
03. Ride the Lightning
04. The God That Failed
05. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
06. Rebel Of Babylon (previously unreleased song from “Death Magnetic” sessions)
07. Blackened (with fan-club members Dennis, Annette Diaz)
08. Dirty Window (with Bob Rock)
09. Frantic (with Bob Rock)
10. Sabbra Cadabra (BLACK SABBATH cover) (with Geezer Butler)
11. Iron Man (BLACK SABBATH cover) (with Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler)
12. Paranoid (BLACK SABBATH cover) (with Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler)
13. King Nothing (w/ Jason Newsted)
14. Whiplash (w/ Jason Newsted)
15. Motorbreath (w/ Hugh Tanner)
16. Phantom Lord (w/ Dave Mustaine)
17. Jump In The Fire (w/ Dave Mustaine)
18. Metal Militia (w/ Dave Mustaine)
19. Hit The Lights (w/ Lloyd Grant, Dave Mustaine, Ron McGovney)
20. Seek & Destroy (w/ Jason Newsted, Dave Mustaine, Lloyd Grant, Ron McGovney, Hugh Tanner, Mark Osegueda, and THE SOUL REBELS)
METALLICA was formed when Ulrich, who had moved to Los Angeles from Denmark, placed an ad in a local paper called The Recycler looking for other musicians to play with. The ad was answered by guitarists James Hetfield and Hugh Tanner of the band LEATHER CHARM.
METALLICA officially formed in October 1981 and the band’s first recording was “Hit The Lights” for the compilation “Metal Massacre”.
Bay Area DJ Ron Quintana came up with the group’s name: he was debating between using “Metallica” and “Metal Mania” for the name of his radio show and Ulrich encouraged him to use “Metal Mania” so that he could use “Metallica” for his new band.
METALLICA’s first full lineup — featuring Hetfield, Ulrich, guitarist Dave Mustaine and bassist Ron McGovney — played its first gig on March 14, 1982 at Radio City in Anaheim, California.
Philip Anselmo, legendary frontman of PANTERA and DOWN, will release his career-first solo album, "Walk Through Exits Only", on July 16 via his own Housecore Records (MRI/Megaforce). "Walk Through...
Time for the last travel-blog for a little while, wouldn’t want to bore you guys with the same topic for too long. So, this time I thought I’d just...
Hello my friends in one more article here on Metalpaths! The last two months I covered the health issues that can be caused from playing the guitar and music...
Location: Geoponiki, Athens, Greece
Location: Antonis Tritsis Park (Ilion), Athens, Greece
Location: Principal Club, Thessaloniki, Greece
Location: Vox Club, Athens, Greece
Location: Gagarin 205, Athens, Greece