Patrick Prince of Powerline recently conducted an interview with guitarist Michael Weikath of German power metallers HELLOWEEN. A couple of excerpts …
“Plagues Of Babylon”, the new album from North American power metallers ICED EARTH, has entered the official German chart at position No. 5.
Says the band: “We want to thank our German fans for the highest chart entry in the band’s history.
“Germany has always been special to us and it’s a great feeling to know how much you continue to support the band.”
ICED EARTH is joining forces with record stores to release 500 limited-edition, hand-numbered vinyl “bootleg” copies of “Plagues Of Babylon”. This extremely limited “bootleg” pressing, which is available only in record stores in North America, goes on sale today, January 14, and is sure to become an instant collector’s item. Click here to find your nearest local participating retailer.
ICED EARTH makes its triumphant return with the January 21, 2014 North American release of new “Plagues Of Babylon” on Century Media Records. The CD was recorded at Principal Studios (KREATOR, IN EXTREMO, GRAVE DIGGER) in Senden, Germany and was mixed at NHow Studios in Berlin, Germany. Guest vocals on “Highwayman” were laid down by VOLBEAT frontman Michael Poulsen and SYMPHONY X/ADRENALINE MOB singer Russell Allen. Guest vocals on “Plagues Of Babylon”, “Among The Living Dead”, “Democide”, “Resistance” and “If I Could See You” are by BLIND GUARDIAN vocalist Hansi Kürsch. The cover and additional artwork was created by Eliran Kantor (TESTAMENT, ATHEIST, HATEBREED).
“Plagues Of Babylon” track listing:
01. Plagues Of Babylon
03. The Culling
04. Among The Living Dead
06. The End?
07. If I Could See You
11. Spirit Of The Times
Songs 1-6 form the “Plagues Of Babylon” story line, part of the ongoing “Something Wicked” Universe
Exclusive “Plagues Of Babylon” pre-sale bundles are on-sale now at CM Distro.
Album and merchandise packages include the following:
* Standard CD (28-page booklet; jewel case; collectible top spine)
* Limited-edition deluxe CD/DVD (standard CD; DVD with “making of” documentary, alternate album mixes and gear guides; 32-page booklet with alternate cover artwork on cover; 6-panel matte digipack, collective top spine)
* Double LP (180 gram; gatefold sleeve on matte-laminated heavy cardboard; printed inner sleeves; available in black or limited-edition silver wax)
* Limited-edition boxset (CD/DVD from above packaged as deluxe mediabook; also includes bandana, embossed metal flask, six artwork cards and refrigerator magnet; limited to 3,000 copies worldwide)
* Limited-edition 10-inch boxset (three 10″ LPs; 12-page booklet; album artwork poster; limited to 1,000 worldwide – 500 gold / 500 black)
* Long-sleeve shirt (pre-order package exclusive)
* Short-sleeve shirt (pre-order package exclusive)
ICED EARTH will promote the new CD in its North American homeland with the headlining “Worldwide Plagues Tour”, which kicks off April 4 for a six-week run with SABATON and REVAMP in support.
“This is a seriously heavy album with a seriously brutal album cover,” says ICED EARTH mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer of “Plagues Of Babylon”. “I’m sure it will go down as a classic in the epic ICED EARTH catalog.
“We feel that the package with SABATON and REVAMP is very strong and we are very excited to tour the U.S. and Canada again and kick some major ass!”
Jon Dette (SLAYER, TESTAMENT, ANTHRAX) is sitting behind the drums for ICED EARTH‘s current European headlining tour, taking over for Raphael Saini, who filled in during the summer 2013 festivals, the recording of ICED EARTH‘s new album, and the club leg of the VOLBEAT tour.
Dette made his live debut with ICED EARTH on November 6, 2013 at O2 World in Berlin, Germany.
ICED EARTH last year parted ways with drummer Brent Smedley for “personal family reasons.”